Skip to main content

Remember

It's a sunny Sunday morning
Not unlike the weather 10 years ago

The sky is blue
Not unlike it was 10 years ago

Im watching the TV. Glued
Just as I was 10 years ago

Yet this time, we are remembering.
We are hearing stories about children who are now 10 yrs old who have grown up; not knowing one of their parents.

We are hearing spouses and parents talk about their lost partner or child; and how every day they carry them in their hearts

We are a different country now.
We take off our shoes to get thru Airport Security
We look twice, or three times, at someone next to us on a plane, wondering if we are safe.
We are less trusting
We are more united

My boys are 6 and 8 and do not know about what this date signifies.
I decided they are a bit too young for me to have this discussion so I am keeping them from the news a bit.
I want them to feel safe when they walk outside
When they visit their grandparents in New York City
When they get on a plane

I want to keep them sheltered.

But as I watch the memorials,
as I watch the heavy hearts of the survivors
I know that I cannot shelter them from everything

Remembering today...
Remembering 10 years ago

We will never forget

Comments