Skip to main content

Are my boobs a fraud?

So I got selected (after submitting my name!) to participate on the field at Gilette Stadium as part of the Patriots Pre Game Breast Cancer Awareness Day. I was- beyond excited.
It was a whole to do really..
first off, we gave away our tix for that game and weren't planning to go.
I got selected but didnt have tix. Yea, that could be an issue.
Except it wasnt.
Because two people couldnt make it and the PATS had two extra tix to give me.
FREE TIX
My Mom agreed to watch the boys.
FREE BABYSITTER
The PATS sent a parking pass.
FREE PARKING
Okay, you're getting the gist.

As we donned in pink (FREE TSHIRTS and FREE HATS) I was soon surrounded by 41 other "survivors". Women of all different ages and backgrounds with many, many stories.
Suddenly- I felt undeserving of being there.
Yes, I lost a boob but honestly- it was only a boob.
Really, it's how I look at it. Sure it sucked back then but now that I'm on the other side- not a huge deal.  Life vs a boob. A no brainer.
But these women- all comparing chemo stories. Blisters that they all got from their treatment. Talking (and joking at times) about losing their hair and the different wigs they had and how people treated them (both good and bad)
And there I was.
Listening.
Admiring.
Listening.
Crying.
These women were SURVIVORS! These women fought cancer and won. These women went through some war stories and were so deserving of the applause we received as we walked onto the field.
Truly deserving.
Me?
I'm not so sure.
I only lost a boob.
That was it.
I had my hair.
I didnt need radiation.
It never spread anywhere.
I lost a lymph node but only to test it. These women were talking teens and twenties of lymph nodes..

So, was it an amazing day?
In every sense of the word.
Not because I got to see the PATS up close and on the field.
Not because I was ON THE FIELD when they were announced
Not because I got to be in the PATS tunnel and snap a few pictures
but because of the women I met.
True heroes.
True survivors.

So me and my boob- are we frauds?
I'm tired of feeling I need to "defend" my status (DCIS) which is technically a non invasive cancer. I say things like "but mine was high grade and mine was spread everywhere  and I really had no choice " (All true)
But really, in the end..I know how lucky I am.
I know it was only a boob

Comments