Skip to main content

Why I send my son to overnight camp

 

Disclaimer: I am a camper through and through. I would return in a minute which is one of the reasons I love  living vicariously  through 7 weeks of overnight camp through my son's eyes.  That said; I realize overnight camp is not for every child.  As much as it was/is a part of my life; I realized that my older son wants no part of it.  And, with a heavy sigh, that's okay.

I have had many conversations with people about the decision to send my 10 year old son to overnight camp. Not just any overnight camp. MY overnight camp. It is true that when we discussed the possibility of camp we toured one and only one camp. Was I biased? Of course I was. Did I know my kid? Yes.  I knew that if he was going to go anywhere, this would be the place.
After 3 1/2 weeks last year, he called us asking to stay the full 7 week session.  After I squealed with delight (and cringed at the thought of what another session would cost us) I did the happy dance. My kid loved camp. My happy place is now his happy place.
"But 7 weeks? That is SUCH A LONG TIME."  "Dont you miss him?" " I could never do that."" My kid would never do that."  I get some backwards glances ("you must really want to get rid of your kid") and some jealous responses ("I wish my child would do that").
Truth: Of course I miss my kid. And I dont. 
Let me explain:

Last year, day one, my son entered a bunk of 7 complete strangers along with two counselors. He was instantly welcomed and asked to trade gum. That was that. He quickly shoved me out the door allowing a brief moment to hug him goodbye( as long as no one was looking.)  I cried in the car praying he was going to love it.
He acted in two plays. He played gaga ball and perfected the crawl stroke. He had to keep the bunk clean so therefore learned to  clean toilets and sinks. He stayed up late and ran around shooting water guns and water balloons. He went on trip days and trip nights. He got dirty and his shoes were full of sand. He forgot to change his pillowcase for 4 weeks straight and he rarely applied suntan lotion. He didn't starve if he didn't like the meal and he survived if he only ate bread and butter and a popsicle for lunch. He may have forgotten to brush his teeth, his hair, wash behind his ears or under his arms, match his clothes, change his shorts the next day, wash his bathing suit, or use a wash cloth. He was okay. He survived.
I didnt get to kiss him goodnight each night or know that he was happy every second but I trusted my gut. I trusted the camp. I didn't know his every move and that was hard..but only at first. Because the first letter of his first season said in big giant letters CAMP IS AWESOME.
And do you know why it was awesome? Because at 10 years old (then; age 9) he was independent. He got to be "free". Free from rules of schoolwork and nagging mothers to ask him to brush his hair. It was okay to go out in clothes that didn't match or dirty elbows because it was camp. And he got to walk around camp and go from activity to activity with his friends. No parents. He got to make friends with kids who also felt this freedom and maturity. He breathed, ate, slept with these kids. He HAD to be himself because it was too long a time not to let your guard down.
Season two came and he was already a veteran. It was okay to bring an extra stuffed animal this year because he didn't care if  the other boys saw it. It was a must to pack extra gum because after all, that's what you did in the early mornings when you woke up before the counselors; you traded gum. It was okay to hug your friend or dance and sing because...well, everyone else was and you were accepted if you did.
So is overnight camp for everyone? OF course not. Not everyone wants to be away from home, sleep away from home, spend all that time feeling the need to run around and do different activities. Some need some down time and some don't want to be that far away. And that is okay.
All I'm saying is I'm not "sending" my child off to summer camp. My child is BEGGING for me to go to summer camp.
Overnight camp, at the age of 10, is his second home. It is HIS place. HIS place where he gets to shine and gets to be him and gets to be someone part of a very special community.
I met my best friend at the age of 9 at the very same summer camp. We are now 47 and still best friends. Summer camp isn't just for the young or for a chapter or two in your life..it stays WITH you.
So my son is making new friends and keeping old ones and..
oh yea,
he's learning to clean a toilet!

Comments

  1. I agree with you 100% about camp. The right camp is the best place in the world for kids!!! My son is going to his 8th season at West End House Camp (I'm on the board, i went there too) - and he's happiest when he's there. My daughter goes to Laurelwood in CT - fourth season for her - and she's happiest when she's there. And you know what else? They learn to live without you. Sad to think, but true - your kids will one day need to support themselves and live without your everyday guidance. And it prepares them for being away from home when they go away to school... one less thing they have to worry about when they go to college!!! Kids who go to camp do much better. But i do understand people who feel uncomfortable about sending their kids away... it's hard to let go and trust that they'll be ok. Anyway - so glad to read this. It always makes me smile when i hear about a mom who loves to send her kids to camp!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment