Skip to main content

Mental health awareness month

 There are definitely places and times I wouldn’t go back to if I got paid but I have to say top of my list is high-school.


It just wasn’t my time. 
Average student in a flock of mostly above average kids.
A bit insecure, cared more about my boyfriend then the punishment I may endure for skipping class to see him, and my Mom just didn’t understand me. 
(Boy was I wrong there)

But navigating high school now? 
With Instagram and Snapchat and Twitter and whatever else is out there that I know nothing about -
I imagine that adds to a whole other level of being a teenager.

And that’s what our kids are in the thick of.

It’s mental health awareness month and if there’s ever a time to focus in on this- it’s now.

We’ve heard,nationally; of three,star college, female athletes, who have died by suicide in the past couple of months. (And sadly, too many kids that we don’t know about).

There are kids with anxiety (can you blame them? Do you know what it’s like applying to colleges these days? Needing honor this and AP that and a resume a mile long showing your diversity).

There are kids with depression. They’re sitting alone on a Friday night watching their Instagram blow up with people at places that didn’t include them or not knowing where to sit at lunch because they don’t have a friend group.

They’re trying to navigate who they are.
 Physically, sexually, emotionally.
There are drugs and alcohol too easily available.

Their hormones are raging and they don’t know what to do with the flood of emotions they’re feeling.

They’re feeling pressure to be the best athlete, artist, musician, friend, student and child. 

Yes; child.
They’re still children.

How do we support this? 
How do we help them navigate?

I’m no perfect person and I’m certainly no perfect mother.
I’m turning 54 next week and I’m not sure (I know I don’t )have the answers.

I do know I love my children unconditionally and try to remind them of that all the time.

I do know I constantly tell them to be respectful and just hope that others are teaching the same lessons.

It’s mental health awareness month and I want us all to remember that we are all navigating different waters 

and to be kind.



Comments