Skip to main content

And you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Sometimes I feel like I'm living my life out of a Talking Head's song:

"And you may ask yourself. Well, how did I get here?"

Occasionally I think I'm on a show-watching a movie. Or acting in it. Playing the part while life just passes me by.
Right in front of me.
P-A-S-S-I-N-G me by. 

This morning oldest had an endoscopy (one of many that he has had and will continue to have for the hot new disease titled EOE. I know, my kid's a trendsetter)
I digress..
I'm sitting in the waiting room.
Waiting (duh!)

Mrs. Stern?
(oldest's) Mom?

Oh ah, yes, that would be me.
When did I become someone's mom and a Mrs.? Really?

I'm going through the motions.
Day by day.
My kids are fed, cared for, loved.
I take them to their doctors appointments, school, camp, playdates.
I cook dinner, clean the house, do the laundry
I do an occasional facebook post, dinner with a friend, see a movie, glass of wine on a Saturday night.

Yes. Im living my life but I'm just not sure how I became 45-
and a grown up.
Allowed to raise a kid? Seriously? Like actually make decisions about the kid(s)?
Big decisions.
Health decisions.
School decisions.
Decisions that can impact their lives.

And let's not forget the Mrs. part.
Someone's other half.
I love my other half and am in a happy, wonderful, solid, loving marriage but; 13 years has past me by with this person who made me a Mrs. and I'm just thinking...
well,
how did I get here?

Life passes us by.
Really, really quickly.
And if you don't think about it from time to time
actually, every day..
well you end up someone's mother and Mrs. and responsible for living breathing people other than yourself.
And that responsiblity is wonderful and awesome (and sometimes terrifying).
I guess what I'm saying is we all go through the motions.
We get up
We go through the day (some ups, some downs, some joys and laughs,  some crazies and cries, but we get through the day) and then...there we are the next morning..getting through yet another day.

Stop and smell the roses people.
Stop and look around.
Watch your kids- really watch them.  Tomorrow; they wont be the same kid.

Stop and appreciate that the person you are with is with you through all of the minutes of your day and let em' know you are thankful they made you a Mrs. (or Mr!)

Tomorrow...
well tomorrow, you just dont know what it may bring.
so live in the now.

Because one day you're going to wake up and start singing about the Talking Heads. 


Comments