Skip to main content

The happiest (and most anxiety ridden) time of the year

Back to school!
The yellow buses crowding the streets
New backpacks and sneakers shining
Moms rejoicing everywhere
Life is good!

Yet; oldest was seemingly anxious the night before the first day.
Youngest wasn't overly thrilled with his class list.
Oldest has a new special ed. teacher
Youngest has been asking oldest non stop questions about third grade.

I forgot how anxiety provoking the start of school can be for kids.
They have had care free, relaxing summers.
No real schedules.
No homework or tests or things to learn and memorize.
Life has been filled with lemonade and outdoor activities and smelling like coppertone for 2 months.
They now need to switch gears. And quickly. We are asking them to one day turn off your summer switch and the next morning get your mind in gear and ready to learn math.

And the parents?
Same thing.
I forgot what time I dropped them off.
Will I remember to pick them up?
Lunches? Shoot, where are those lunchboxes?
Time to remember library books and homework folders.
Time to get into homework mode and sharpen up the pencils.

Not to mention I haven't seen anyone all summer long! I've been a hermit in my neck of the woods just enjoying the sunshine and reading and the boys being at camp. I've enjoyed not thinking about PTO or fundraising or class projects. It's time to reconnect with the town. Time to put on the smiles and start...rejoining the world.

That's just how my boys feel.
Time to leave the safeness and relaxation of camp and summer and re-enter the world.
Of course they're a bit anxious.

lemonade trumps homework any day!

Comments