Skip to main content

Green shirted people

 24 hours ago my oldest was sleeping soundly under my roof.


A new chapter of life has begun .

For him.

For me.


It kind of snuck up on us. 

19 years does that to you.

Yesterday he was struggling to breathe in a tiny isolette and today he’s living in a dorm room on a lofted bed.


Move in day was seamless.

I mean, I have nothing to compare it to but I’ve heard horror stories and this was insanely organized.


You drive up and tons of upperclassmen in green shirts  are there to unload your stuff and bring it up to your room for you. 

Throughout the day, the green shirts check on you. Tell you where to go and how awesome the school is. 

The green shirts are polite, respectful and enthusiastic. 

I have wishes of my son being a green shirt.


After deciding where exactly the Patriots wall hanging should be hung, plugging in the fridge and putting away clothes, we were off to Target.


Yes. The trip to Target for all the things I asked if he wanted 24 hours prior that,  he now, decided he wanted.


I bit my tongue but really wanted to drive my red cart through the aisles telling kids to always listen to their mothers.


We bought the bulletin board, the extra under bed storage thingamajig, more Pepsi and a floor rug and returned to campus for a welcome BBQ.


I was doing great.

Oldest was a bit overwhelmed (understandably . Every two seconds we asked him where do you want to put this and hang this) but we all were pretty confident this was the right fit for him.

He was amongst the green shirts and it already felt like home.


Friends texted throughout the day asking for pics and how I was holding up.

Great- I said. I don’t even think I’ll cry. 


For those of you who  know me in real life, this is the part where you may want to pause and laugh out loud.


Of course I was going to cry.


Not only am I a crier but my 28 week premature child who lived on a ventilator for two years is now old enough and well enough and mature enough to be in college.


Not to dismiss all of you who are dropping off or have dropped off; but this was different for me.

This was my kid who defeated so many odds.


So when we gathered at the stadium and listened to the Presidents address, I started to get the feels.


And when he says, okay class of 2026, I want you to turn to your parents and say these three simple words. Tell them “I love you”.

And my oldest turned to me and said I love you and that was that.


I became mush. 


Parents around me everywhere were wiping eyes and blowing their noses and hugging their babies.


I cried all the way to the parking garage.

Ok, and maybe throughout the drive out of campus.

And maybe a little bit longer on the highway. 


But then I turned to my husband and said “we did good”.


Okay green shirts- you’re up.

Take care of my kid.  


Comments