Skip to main content

Is life a Hallmark movie?

 My lesson of the week is one I learned from a lazy night of watching the Hallmark Channel. Tis the season and all when people meet or are reunited, a local restaurant needs to be saved or the town Christmas parade is in jeopardy and the two save the day and fall in love at the end. It's all hokey and a complete escape from the insanity of the world we are all living in.

So the main character is now a successful wealthy CEO (obviously) but was a nerdy overweight child in high school with few friends. Ta da- he is now confident, handsome and starring in a movie. So yea, I realize this isn't for real but he looked at his HS photo and said yea, I was insecure and figuring out who I was back then. And now I know who I am. 

So I know this isn't a lightbulb going off kind of moment but my point is this-

you can change. 

You do change. 

You grow and learn and realize what's important and what is utter nonsense. You find your people and grow away from the ones who don't lift you up.  You try new things and figure out a career path and you fail and then maybe take a different path. And you maybe do that a few times. 

It's all fine.

It's called growing up.

Your 4 years of high school do not define you. Nor do your 4 years of college.

They are just the beginning of trying to figure out who the heck you are supposed to be. 

Hopefully you're a really kind person and continue to carry that kindness and spread it like wildfire because we really really need that in this world but just dont worry about having your shit together.

Hell, I dont have my shit together and I definitely didn't in the 1980's. I look at my permed hair and thank g-d every single day that the big hair phase has gone away- hopefully for good. 

So take a deep breath. Get through your final exams or your college applications or your holiday shopping, snuggle up with the dog and a fluffy blanket, watch the Hallmark Channel and remember that life gets better.

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving (I totally freaked out today that it's two weeks from today. Let the cranberry chutney making begin!)


Comments