Skip to main content

Honoring the Fathers

I cried this morning watching the Today show. To be honest, it doesn't take much to make me cry but for the past 3 days I have been glued to the TV watching people memorialize Tim Russert. This morning, was Luke's turn, his son. Watching this newly college graduate talk about his Dad with such composure was just...well, tearful. He said that there wasn't a day that went by that he didn't know his Dad loved him. Frankly, that's how life should be.
I have always been Daddy's little girl. From the moment I can remember. I joke that he would buy me the moon if he could. He is just that kind of Dad. Thoughtful, loyal, dedicated...and loves his family. My Dad isn't a particularly emotional man and isn't one to tell me daily that he loves me but..I know he does. He is there for me. Always. I married someone similar to my Dad. My loving husband is not very communicative in the mushy gushy kind of way. He isn't smothering me with kisses and declerations of love nor is he leaving me little sticky notes around the house with sweet remarks. I'm okay with that because really, I'm not sure I wouldn't get a little creeped out by that. But, again, I know he loves me. I nag at him sometimes that he should tell our boys more often that he loves them. I tell them all the time. Not out of force or obligation but just because I do. I'm a woman. I know it's easier for me to do this. It's not always in a man's bones....some men do it beautifully.

I think Tim Russert was one of those men.
I'm not a very political person. I didn't spend my Sundays glued to Meet the Press but boy did I love Tim Russert. I watched him all the time on NBC because really, he was my kind of guy. He explained things in terms that the common person could understand (hence the dry erase board) I loved his demeanor and I loved the way he talked about his son.
So to all the Dad's out there....Happy Father's Day.
And remember...we know you love your children. It's also okay to tell them.

Comments