Skip to main content

Tonsilectomy

Oldest needs his tonsils out. Apparently they went from a size 2+ to a size almost 4 in a matter of 9 months.
What's another surgery when your child is not yet 5 and has undergone anaesthesia more than many adults have in their whole lives?
Not a huge surgery. Not a real big deal. But I'm still a bit annoyed.
Why?
Because last year, my beloved ORL (they are no longer called ENT's apparently in Boston)took out his adenoids and when I asked to remove his tonsils at the same time, he said it wasn't necessary and post-op was a huge deal at 4 years old. I adore my ORL. I really do. I trust him immensely as he has seen oldest through MUCH tougher times than an adenoidectomy. However, he is also conservative. I knew he wouldn't do an unnecessary procedure.
Yet, here we are, almost exactly a year later, needing his tonsils out when I knew really that this would be the case. Oldest's feeding therapist has been pushing for it. She says they are huge and that it may be interfering with his gagging, vomiting, mucous and whatever else is going on with him. I clearly will NOT interfere with anything that may potentially help with his eating so I do not hesitate when his Dr looks at me and says, "yea, I think they need to come out"
So, I await till August 14th and cross my fingers that this is the magic cure. I will anxiously see if his  coughing each morning improves, if his gag is less, if his swallowing and reflux seem a tad better.
It just seems possibly all too easy to be the answer.
But, I hold on to hope.

Comments