Skip to main content

Pink ribbon status

So there's been a lot of talk in the news lately (thank you Angelina) regarding mastectomies.
More importantly; Breast Cancer.

I recently read an article in the NYT written by Peggy Orenstein

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/magazine/our-feel-good-war-on-breast-cancer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

What I got out of it was her saying that too many surgeries were being performed when patients were being diagnosed with DCIS
 Ductal Carcinoma In Situ.
 Otherwise known as Stage 0 breast cancer
Otherwise known as.. what I had.

So is stage O actually breast cancer?
Your cells are pre-cancerous so do you get recognized as actually "having" breast cancer?
You get lumped into the "survivor" category but are you necesarrily a survivor?

I call bullshit Peggy Orenstein.
I'm tired of feeling I need to defend myself because I didn't need chemo or radiation (thank god)
I'm a survivor alright because I cut off my boob to make sure I didn't end up dying one day from breast cancer.
Did I need to cut off my boob? According to three different doctors I did.
Would the DCIS have spread and become invasive? Who the hell knows but who the hell wants to take the chance to wait around and see?
I'm sorry you feel that I don't "earn" the title of having a pink ribbon.
I dont care about the damned pink ribbon or being lumped into any kind of sisterhood category.
What I care about is that I'm here; right where I want to be.
I was 41 and diagnosed with DCIS which filled a good portion of my left breast. My cells were high grade cells which means they were advanced and moving fast.
Do I regret my decision?
Not for a moment.
Would I cut off my other boob if diagnosed again with DCIS?
In a heartbeat.
So call me what you want.
Call me overdiagnosed.
But I'm now 45 and still here for my kids.
I call that being a survivor.


Comments