Skip to main content

Life sucks. Then it's great again

I went to a new Dr yesterday.
It's actually somewhat embarrassing when he asks you about past surgeries and he has to correct you because you forgot a few.

I'm dumbfounded that the famous Boston hospital has not named a wing after me yet.

Or at least given me a parking space.

(I'm also shocked that the psych ward at said hospital hasn't knocked on my door questioning if I have munchausen syndrome due to my frequency of going under the knife. )

We are scheduled for an upcoming cruise vacation in a couple of months, and I cannot wait.
For many reasons (one being the obvious, I love to cruise. Okay maybe the more obvious is escaping to warmth)
but I also cannot wait because I unplug for a week and truly escape.

My last cruise was at a different time in my life.
One, where I wore a scarf. (You know, not the kind around your neck)

We had the cruise previously booked when I was diagnosed with cancer.
I wanted to hug my oncologist when he told me I could still go.
It was mid chemo.

What I didnt know at the time was how much I needed that escape- during that exact time.

Chemo sucks all around but I was convinced I had the attitude I needed to get through it.

I was ready to tackle it head on.

Until week three hit and I had to shave my head.

And then week 5 came and I didn't know what fatigue was until I couldn't muster putting one foot in front of the other.

So when week 8 came and it was time for the cruise- let's just say I practically ran aboard.

And sure I needed to nap more than usual
 and I missed a few nighttime entertainment shows
 but it was exactly the escape I needed.

The escape I needed to forget that I was cancer girl.

It has been two years since that cruise and although I know longer feel like cancer girl, I kind of hold the title at arms length.
Afraid of regaining it, yet knowing it also shaped me in ways that I'm okay with.

So yes my laundry list at a drs appointment may be longer than some
and maybe I forgot that I actually had three (not two ) revisions this time around
I realize I'm around to get to talk about it.
And that's pretty cool.

So cancer may have robbed me of a lot of crap but I learned this:


Life sucks
And then it's great
And then it sucks again
And then it's great one more time
Until it sucks some more
And becomes great


Comments