Skip to main content

The "last" 24 hours

My dog decides sitting in the midst of the camp packing mess would be a good spot to lie down.
Smack in the middle of the giant squirt gun and the 6 pairs of unlabeled socks.
(Because some genius needs to come up with a better way to label socks than using a sharpie on the sole of the foot that wares off within a day because of sweaty yucky feet)

The important stuff is all checked off :

Underbed box, extra storage box, required summer reading book, color war paraphernalia, two flashlights, case of bottled water,  extra money for the overnight trip that he is now old enough to go on,  and of course...gum.

We are at the 24 hours and counting stage.

Youngest went for his yearly buzz cut,  his "last ice cream", "last McDonalds", "last Dunkin Donuts", and the "last dinner out" will be tonight.
(The kid is gone for 7 weeks so we kind of give in to his milking it phase.)

We are pros by now.

We know what time to leave in the AM (not paying attention to the arrival time they designate)

I know the exact amount of time he will let me stay in the bunk before kicking me out (approximately 90 seconds; if I'm lucky)

I know not to fret when I do not receive a letter for 3 weeks, do not see him in enough pictures, or  can only spot the back of his head.

I know I no longer need sunglasses to hide the tears (that lasted only his first summer. Now  there may or may not be a small happy dance on the car ride home)

Camp is a beautiful thing.
For him...

For us...

Have a great summer my favorite youngest son.
We will miss you
even though you don't miss us.

And that's the way it should be.






Comments