Skip to main content

Father's day

Thanks to the facebook memory feature, a picture that I once posted of me and my Dad comes up every year around this time.
I was in my lush white top blue velvet on the bottom dress and Dad decked out in a Tuxedo. We were going to a fancy Bar Mitzvah party at a country club.
I was probably 7.

We posed by the fireplace and I can see the gleam in both of our eyes.
I was always Daddy's little girl.

I honestly could do no wrong.
And when I did, I was quickly forgiven.
During the teenage years, my Mom and I fought a lot (now I know it's because we were so similar).
Dad always took my side.

As I aged, and I confided in my Mom every day, my Dad would be in the room on the other end of the phone asking my Mom "What? What's she saying?"
I can hear my Mom laughing and her telling me "he always wants to know everything!"
I know it was because he always wanted to make sure I was happy.

It is so true what THEY say.
You are only as happy as your unhappiest child.

If I was happy, he was happy.

I miss my Dad like crazy.
Especially around Father's Day.
He would be grilling steaks and we would be eating corn on the cob.
I can picture him at the kitchen table; clear as day.

My Dad has been gone 10 years.
10 years which often feels like yesterday.
Which often feels like a lifetime ago.

Father's Day I will be thinking of my Dad.
But celebrating my Husband.
Who I feel pretty lucky to be raising our kids with.

He has many of my Dad's qualities.
Often quiet and understated.
Loyal and responsible.
Likes to buy the Orange Juice which is on sale.

They say you often find a husband who is similar to your Dad (but not in a creepy way )

I feel pretty lucky to have found that guy.

Happy Father's Day to the best of the best.

Comments