Skip to main content

Happy 17th and all that crap

People who say “enjoy every stage your kids are in” didn’t warn me that my boys would still think poop is funny as teenagers.

For those following along, here is the blog post you may have been waiting for ..
Our birthday trip to visit Mary from Somerville (no kidding- this is how she refers to herself). Mary- the woman who has a TV show because she makes things out of poop.

We drove to Somerville (population 500. 4 roads in town). Because my boys are such "fans" of the show (and by boys, I include DH), we all laughed when we saw Hussey's. The general store they often refer to on the show. We were running late for Mary so we decided to stop on our way home).

We were greeted at home of Tirdy Works (lovingly referred to as the crap shack) by a dozen roosters cockle doodle doo'ing at us, a bunch of ducks, a few cats and 3 dogs a howling (sing it with me..and a partridge in a pear tree). I could not stop laughing as I walked my way up to knock on the crap shack door. 

We were greeted by Deb (Mary's wife) who apologized that Mary was running late- she was at Hussey's picking up a few things.  Sure enough, Mary pulls up in her truck (license plate reading "moosetrd") and could not wait to show us all things- crap. 

The woman is enthusiastic about her, um, craft but has no filter or boundaries when referring to "shit" "crap" "hooters" (which one of their dogs was named) and a bunch of other things that I cannot believe she said in front of my (impressionable)(insert sarcasm) teenagers.  We met one of her children who was not phased in the least by her talk of crap. 

So yes. There we saw a glass container of sorts filled with "terds". We saw "fecal people", the famous "poo poo clock", pencils with crap on the end, picture frames, and even masks that say "i give a crap" with, naturally, a moose pooping picture. 

Mary is known for her saying "that ain't right" which got us laughing each time she worked it into a sentence (Which happens to also be the name of her comedy tour which has been postponed due to Covid).

For all of you wanting to know how she got into this shit...she was walking one day with Deb who needed to "take a pee" and she came across a moose turd (which we learned, do not smell. Only dog poop smells. Alpaca and moose turd- no smell. I took her word for it). She thought the turd, with some googly eyes would make a funny "shit head" and there, Tirdy Works was created. Deb, does not share her passion but does help create the products.

No, the crap shack did not smell of poop.

She uses some kind of dehumidifier machine of sorts that dries out the poop so she can create the art. 

She sits around with friends to come up with ideas (stool sample. A piece of terd- on a stool. I mean, come on!!)

We laughed. I was amazed. We supported her cause by buying two masks and two "fecal people", which I refuse to allow the children to showcase anywhere that I can actually see it. 

After many thank you's we stopped at Hussey's, which, indeed is quite the general store.

They have everything from soda and beer to cleaning supplies and toys.  If you make your way upstairs however, you will find fishing gear, guns and bridal gowns.

I KID YOU NOT PEOPLE!

2020 has certainly gone "to crap" but I love the "crap" out of my kid so this is what you do for those you love.


Comments