Skip to main content

I miss you 2019

175k people have passed away from covid since my Mom died from it in April.
Let that number sit with you for a minute .
Since April.
This same year.
It breaks my heart what has happened to this world.
Kindergarten children are learning remotely on computers when they should be chasing each other around at recess and learning how to poke a hole in their juice box.
Our high schoolers are sitting in front of a computer from their bedrooms for 6 hours a day during what should be their most crucial years of education.
Our college students are getting in trouble for trying to reach out and make new friends on campus because they aren’t social distancing.
It all just sucks.
And we don’t know when it’s going to change.
And how it’s going to change.
And what the change will look like.
So we take small baby steps and wait for mother may I to let us take one giant step. (Am I dating myself with reference to that game?)
It’s midnight and I’m not sleeping.
(Shocker)
I’m racing around in my mind thinking of my new business (follow me at batterup blondies on Facebook and Instagram!), needing to remind oldest to put an extra mask and hand wipes in his backpack before his first in person school day this week, wondering if my dog will ever sleep past 530 am (seriously- like clockwork) and of course, thinking that my feet will never stop feeling like they are burning with pain.
So that’s me on a normal night.
Add the last 6 months of a pandemic and let’s just say sleep and I have not been getting along well.
I miss the days when I was just worrying about regular anxiety stuff now I worry about not washing my masks enough.
I kinda miss the days of getting caught behind a school bus.
I miss planning a vacation that includes an airplane and an island with coconuts on trees.
I miss hugs from friends.
I miss getting beer spilled on me at a PATS game.
Instead we now get people shooting us the evil eye if we cough under our masks.
And forget sneezing.
I just read an article about a 9 year old who sneezed twice in school and got sent home. He cannot return til he has a negative covid test.
Have we forgotten about allergy season?
The common cold?
Or just plain sneezing?
God I miss 2019.

Comments