Skip to main content

Brenda has cancer.

Brenda Walsh has cancer. She has blogged and documented it very openly for the past two years.
Although Brenda was not my favorite character it's the one time I could relate to ANYTHING a character in 90210 was going through.

Don't know Brenda Walsh? You are either too young to be reading my blog or never watched an episode of 90210 which is something I can't really get into with you because I still watch reruns. (It's true. Some channel called POP has reruns. AND Dawsons Creek! Joey before she was Suri's Mom! )

Ok, so Brenda is now in remission. (Yes, I realize Brenda is not real and Shannen Doherty is and yes I realize she is the one with cancer but she will always be Brenda to me so let's just go with it). Again, not a fan but admire her "coming out". I admire her putting her vanity aside and posting pictures of herself at chemo, shaving her head, looking her worst. It's not easy and I totally get this. I also get why she does it. She is helping others. Truly. I believe this helps. You read people's experiences and you can say "ok, she had the bumps on her head when she lost her hair too. Phew. I am not a freak".

Today I saw she posted a picture of herself with hair. I immediately sent the article to one of my besties and made her promise that my pixie cut would look cuter than hers. Then I felt bad because any hair to Brenda is good hair. And the day my gray buzzcut is gone, I know I will be happier. (Of course the gray will still be there til I pay my stylist bucks to make it au naturel again but thankfully that can happen)

Brenda is saying the next five years are crucial. THEY say if you can get through 5 years you are doing well. The thing is, I got through 7 and here I am so I'm not sure I believe that so much. Dr Radiologist that I met with a couple of weeks ago says to me "so you know it's rare that you get breast cancer after a mastectomy. And the fact that you are HER2 is quite unusual after DCIS." Um, yea, thanks for the pick me up.

So breast cancer, it's a definite sisterhood. A crappy sisterhood but a sisterhood. You immediately feel a kinship with anyone else who has gone through it.
And me and Brenda, we are in this together. I wonder if she can introduce me to Dylan?

Comments

  1. I was more of a David Silver fan!
    The re-runs never get old...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment