Skip to main content

Practically 50

I am turning 49.
Which means I am almost 50.
I really don't feel that old.
I have dark circles under my eyes but I'm pretty sure those have been there a while.
I'm in menopause but I blame surgery which got me here.
I'm not too, too wrinkled yet.
And I'm gray but you know, when you pay the money that's all forgotten.

So almost 50. This is what I've learned...

Health is all that matters in life. Truly all that matters.
And happiness.
Hearing "you've got cancer" will make you vomit.
So may seeing your child go under anesthesia- no matter how many times you watch it.
Heels are not your friend. They cause back issues.
I say "oy" or "ugh" almost daily.
Everything creeks, snaps or cracks at some point.
Be honest; but not hurtful.
Choose your friends wisely.
Clean house. And I don't mean it literally. (See above)
Speak up. Your opinion matters.
Hug your loved ones.
Say I love you to those who matter. One day it's too late.
I miss my Dad more than I ever imagined I would. (See above)
You do not need to volunteer for everything.
Volunteer for things that matter to you. You can make a difference.
Watch your kid when he says "Mommy. Look at me".
It's okay to eat the cookie dough. You don't die.
Sing whenever possible. I don't care that I can't carry a tune.
It's okay to admit you need help. This includes therapy and meds.
Where you go to college will not define you.
How you treat others may.
I will never like egg salad.
Always add humor to your day.
Fuzzy, warm socks will make a crappy day better.
So will chocolate.
Hot flashes suck but they only last for a few minutes. Think walking into a sauna in your winter jacket.
There will be a day when you don't know anyone mentioned in People magazine.
You remember Judy Blume books no matter how old you are.
You have far more strength than you think you do.


Comments