Skip to main content

Oh for the love of...

New study this week shows speech delay is linked to kids screen time.
I am so tired of these studies.
I have moaned before and will continue to moan (because I am so good at it). If I followed every study and piece of parenting advice I ever got I would be on heavier meds than I already am!

Make sure you breast feed. If you don't your kids will develop all kinds of allergies and be messed up for life.
Make sure your kid eats organic.
No nuts before the age of two.
Nope, sorry, we corrected that study- give nuts at the age of one.
No TV before the age of three. (Poor Big Bird and Elmo. Who is their audience?)
Start potty training early.
But don't push the potty training. Wait til they show signs of being ready.
Now of course screen time makes you have a speech delayed child.

If I wanted a good laugh I would tell you that I do have allergy children (I pumped for six months with oldest because he was in the NICU. He still got breast milk).
Because he was in the NICU he didn't get TV time. Or screen time (of course there was no phone screen time in 2003). Guess what? My kid was/is speech delayed anyway. Peanuts? Yup. Did that too. Right on the mark at age two like advised by the American Pediatric of something. Swollen lips and eyes for my peanut allergy youngest child. I tried organic but he still wanted McDonalds when he entered preschool because his classmates with the "failing" parents were feeding their kids nuggets. I let him watch Diego as he ate at the golden arches with his buddies.

For the love of God people lay off each other.
Do we not have bigger things to worry about than judging each others parenting skills and finding studies that blame us for our non perfect children?
I honestly don't care what you feed your kids or how much screen time they have or if they play sports or lay on the couch. I don't care if you shop at Whole Foods or Walmart and I certainly don't care if your kid watched Elmo before they were "supposed" to.

Believe me, I'm hardly the perfect mother. I'm pretty sure I am screwing up half the time but if I stopped comparing myself to everyone else I would probably be better off.

We all have one thing in common. We love our kids so let's just all follow our hearts and I'm thinking we can't mess up too bad.


For those keeping score. Chemo #11 unfortunately kicked my ass this week but I'm almost at the finish line for chapter one. I'll take the kicked ass for now.

#ontoradiation
#bringonmyhair!

Comments