Skip to main content

Paino Man

DH and I are big fans of Billy Joel so when we knew he was playing in Fenway Park again this year it was no question we would go.
As always, he is a fabulous entertainer but this year I think the entertainment surrounding my seats was worth the price of my tickets.

Dear 20 somethings 2 rows in front of me. Please put your phones down. The 7 selfies you tried to take during "The Entertainer" because I'm guessing you didn't know the song was a bit tiresome to watch. I tried desperately to photo bomb but you only got the top of my new cropped do. And Blondie texting throughout the show- tell me why you bothered to attend?

Kudos to the mom and teen daughter a few seats down. I loved that you attended a concert together and loved your daughter even more for knowing every word to Big Shot. I did have to chuckle as you told the couple in front of you to stop yapping. It's hard not to have to shout in a concert if you want to talk but I agree with you, a concert really is not the venue to talk about your weekend plans.

Clearly the highlight of the night was in the section next to us.
Row 1- Mid 50 couple #1
Row 2- Mid 50 couple #2
Row 3- Mid 50 couple # 3 with a friend who I will refer to as Really big dude and Really rough looking wife

Really big and really rough stood the entire concert. THE ENTIRE CONCERT. Now I get that there are songs that you stand up and dance to but during Vienna; take a load off. Mid 50 #1 asked him to sit down; I assume politely. Really big refused. Mid 50 #2 had also asked with a few words exchanged and finally mentioned to security.
Older security man who frankly couldn't take on Really Big in a thumb wrestling contest asked him politely if he would sit down. He even asked if mid couple #1 could switch with him so they would be in the back row and wouldn't be blocking anyone's view.
Nope.
Clearly really big and really rough were just being really pig headed asses.
The bigger guns came out.
Younger and more fit security guy tried to reason with big and rough. For at least 10 minutes an entire conversation went on during Allentown which really was distracting to my attempt to sing.
Really big refused to sit and mid couple #1 just moved into the back to stand.

Younger fit then went to get really huge and scary security guy and he pulled mid 50#2 and really big aside. Somewhere in between awesome Billy Joel roadie singing "Highway to Hell" they both had words. Security was next to them ready to pounce.
Bottom line, really big was just a jerk and ended up watching against the back wall the entire time with a security guard next to him while really rough and her friend watched from their seats. The kicker is really rough and friend never even sat down still being asses to all the mid 50's behind them. This was like being in the bleachers for a Sox/Yankee game.

The upside was there was a lovely family in front of them with their tween children arm and arm singing Piano Man and I got to dance my cancer girl ass off.  The free entertainment and a blogworthy post was just an added bonus.



Comments