Skip to main content

L'SHANAH TOVAH

I was 4 years old and I came home and asked my Mom "Am I Hanukkah or Christmas?" A valid question for a jewish girl from Newton MA who was in a catholic preschool being taught by the amazing Sister Phyllis.
Turns out I am Hanukkah which means we, as Jews, are entering a new year.
Can we get a big AMEN!?
Being one who cannot WAIT to rid this god awful year I am thrilled to be able to have two opportunities to rid the year- my Hanukkah self wishes a hearty goodbye to the Jewish 5777 and I will be equally doing the good riddance thing in December wishing adieu to 2017.

So, being the good jew that I am I have resolutions. These will not include my annual lose 20 lbs because sadly, that one has been on my list for the last 15-20 years and I'm starting to see a problem with repeat resolutions.

NEW Resolutions.

1) Live in the now. This one is going to be the most difficult for me but I've been working on it. I'm a worrier by nature and when I can't fall asleep (which is nightly) I worry. Or concot some crazy story of what if's. I am learning and trying to take in my surroundings. Breathe a lot more. (You know- knowingly breathe because clearly breathing is something that isnt new) Count to 10 before screaming about tweens rolling their eyes and muttering under their breath.

LIFE ISNT ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS. ITS ABOUT LIVING TO DANCE IN THE RAIN

2) In conjunction with number 1 try to remember that you do not have control over certain situations. The cancer thing was clearly something I did not only not wish for but did not expect. See that's what happens with your health- it often can change in a nanosecond. No control. What I do have control of is my attitude. My strength (or sometimes lack of) My emotions (often high and intense).

"LIFE DOESN'T GET EASIER. YOU GET STRONGER".

3) I've said this one a number of times but now that I'm nearing a half a century in age it's worth repeating.
Clean house.
Not the vacuum and windex kind (although if you are a crazy anal freak like me this is often therapeutic) but wean out the negatives in your life. Are there people that constantly bring you down? That are competitive or that don't make you feel good about yourself? Are there others that you spend time with but leave their company feeling any less but happy? CLEAN HOUSE. We are not in high school anymore. You do not need to be liked by everyone. You do not need to have the most likes on facebook. I'm not saying be rude to them. I'm a big fan of Ellen and her message of always being kind to one another. But being kind and keeping people in your life that aren't bringing you up are two different things.
We do not need 50 best friends. And if you have 50 best friends that make you feel yourself and great than more power to you. But just remember that life is short. You want to feel good about yourself so in turn you can feel good about being a partner, parent, sibling, friend, colleague, dog parent, whatever.

"YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO BE AS GOOD AS THE PEOPLE YOU SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SO BE BRAVE ENOUGH TO LET GO OF THOSE WHO KEEP WEIGHING YOU DOWN.""

4) Lastly village peeps. LOVE.  And say it often.
Weather it's to your parent or your sibling or your BFF- let them know you love them. Even if they know. It's so great to hear it.
Your partner and your children: A MUST. Remind the most important people in your life that you love them more than anything on this earth (with chocolate even being second). Life gets in the way of us remembering what is most important and that is family. Family by blood or by friendship it's the important peeps in your life who you know you can call when you need a ride to chemo or the one who is next to you every step of the way when your father passes away. It's the husband who took your wedding song to heart when he hears the line "I wouldn't leave you, in times of trouble. We never could've come this far". It's the children that you used to chase around the house giggling and playing hokey pokey over and over again who now are more interested in their computers and their friends and may feel that you know absolutely nothing about what they're talking about but just smile, and hug them, and remind them they are so loved.

So to my "Hanukkah" village people I wish you a L'Shanah Tovah but to all my village peeps I wish you lots of love and health in the upcoming year(s).

"PEOPLE WILL FORGET WHAT YOU SAID, PEOPLE WILL FORGET WHAT YOU DID, BUT PEOPLE WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."


Comments