Skip to main content

Hello 20 year old self

I turned 50 this past weekend and I gotta say, I feel pretty okay about it.
I had a near perfect day with the people I love. 
I heard from long time friends and newer friends.
I finished the day with a great dinner with DH with wine and chocolate cake and of course, I ate the frosting part first. 

One of my favorite cards came from my brother in law and sister in law with some things to do now that you are 50.
One of them said to write a letter to your 20 year old self and your 60 year old self.
Clearly this was a blog post waiting to happen.

So..
Dear 20 year old self,

It's hard to believe that there will be a time when your night does not begin at 10PM. Not only will your night NOT begin at 10PM but it may actually END BEFORE 10pm.  
You will not always drink beer out of plastic cups and you may actually not drink beer. 
Some day you will not wear harem pants and scrunchies so you may want to cut back on the perms and 2AM pizza runs. You will thank me for cutting back on the perm.

You may want to study a bit more. 
Stop skipping your 8AM Stats class even though you will have no need for statistics in your future life. 
Don't worry about not finding love just yet. You are still so young and your priorities are going to shift. The good looking goof ball that makes you laugh and blush is not the one you are going to want to marry. He is a flirt and unambitious and doesn't like you for you.

You are a good person with a good heart. Trust your gut, I promise it serves you well. 
You are worthy. 
You are enough. 

Speak up. You have things to say.  Your opinion matters. 
Speak up in class because you haven't a clue what's going on. It's so important to ask questions. It's how we learn. Don't feel stupid for asking questions. 

You are smart even if you can't pass Statistics. 

You rock that you can drive a stick shift.

Mom will be your best friend in a few years. It's okay that you don't feel you can talk to her now about stuff. There will be a day you will call her multiple times a day. 

Keep your mixed tapes. 
And your old love letters. 
And maybe the harem pants. 

Comments