Skip to main content

Ode to the nurses

My first contact with a nurse that touched my life was when I was 6 or 7.
I totally remember her.
Joanne.
I had a really high fever of almost 105 and was in the ER.
Joanne wrapped me in some kind of cooling blanket and held my hand.
It's all I remember but I remember Joanne providing me comfort and clearly, was memorable.

M was my nurse for the 6 1/2 weeks I was inpatient, when pregnant with oldest and his twin brother, Zachary.
She would come in every morning and let sunshine into my dreary day. (Literally and figuratively)
Every 4 hours she would listen to the boys heartbeats with me.
She rubbed my back when I had a panic attack after a stroll in a wheelchair to the lobby.
She snuck me extra ice cream, made sure I got my 3pm nap in,  and got me to laugh when all I wanted to do was cry.

She was the first person I saw on August 8th, 2003.
It was 12 hours after giving birth

"I heard those two heartbeats with you every day. I am so sorry"
She left the curtains drawn that morning.


Oldest was in the NICU.
180 days.
2 different top Boston hospitals.
Numerous nurses but we were blessed (the word I hate but the only one that fits) with exceptional primary nurses on his team.
You know who you are because you are a part of our family to this day.
Almost 15 years later.
That's what you did.
That's who you are.
You are not there just doing a job.
You are there becoming people's lifelines. Being a part of their families.
You are the people we call a 2AM as we awake (or were we even sleeping?)
We call you to check on our child who cannot be at home with us.
You don't get exasperated.
You are there during codes and extubations of breathing tubes (in our case; oldest would pull it out daily. The little bugger was only 2lbs- but he was mighty)
You were there for setbacks (countless pneumonias)
 The time he almost died.
My god, the time he almost died- YOU WERE THERE.
You don't forget those people.

And K.
Sunny, spirited, outgoing and compassionate.
Asked about my kids and my dog and my family as chemotherapy was being pumped through my veins.
She told me I looked good in a scarf even though I felt so incredibly ugly and defeated.
She told me the truth about how crappy I would feel.
She reminded me it was totally okay to feel crappy.
She hugged me each and every time.
She meant it.

And to my wonderful friend who I only know as a friend; not in the nursing role.
But see, that's the thing.
It's one in the same.
Empathetic. Supportive. Caring.
You are one in the same.
All of you.
This is who you are.

Thank you is not enough.
One day is not enough to salute you.
I appreciate you.
WE appreciate you.

EVERY. SINGLE. DAY


Comments