Skip to main content

Camp Casco

I've posted numerous times how much camp has meant to me through the years.
How I've met my most bestest friends there (not even a slight exaggeration)
How I can remember more memories from my summers at camp than I can remember the reason why I went into the next room.
How it really formed so much of who I am today.

And youngest; following suit.
I love that he couldn't sleep the night before he left to be with his summer family.
That leaving his school friends wasn't the least bit sad because he knew what was in store for him in the upcoming 7 weeks.
I love that I'm seeing him make life lasting memories.

LIFE LASTING.

But today
Today was a different camp experience for me.
Today was day one of volunteering as a co-director of a week long day camp.

I have been fortunate enough to have found another camp which has already tugged at my insides.
For the last 9 months I have been involved in planning and organizing 5 days of awesomeness for a non- profit camp that caters to children who are currently going through cancer/survivors.

I knew upon this recent diagnoses that I wanted (no; it was really more of a need) to give back.
Somehow.
And I knew the desire was big.

So I googled.
Cancer.
Camp.

It was kind of that simple.
My love of camp and my desire to pay it forward found me the perfect most amazing opportunity.

And I am only on day one of my 5 day amazingness.

Okay.
First I have to start off that not only was I psyched to be a part of my new camp but when I called on my old camp alumni peeps to help out-
of course-
they stepped up.
Snack donations for the week and another donating an RV.
Yea, you didn't read that wrong.
AN RV! To use as our med shed for when the kiddos need a rest/ac/break/meds etc.
AN RV!

Ok
I digress


It is a small camp which allows me to spend time with the adorableness of the campers. (Am I overusing "ness" in my words?  Seriously best suffix for this blog post)
I am surrounded by many ( some college age young adults) who have given up a week of their summer to join me.

We did water balloon fights (Because the heatwave in Boston is seriously insane right now)
We made "Monsters Inc Slime" (because the theme of the day was PIXAR)
And we created a very first Camp Casco  house "UP" balloon that seriously took off like
well, like the movie "UP".

But the kicker
the kicker of the day was when it was time to go home.
And a Dad came to pick up his daughter (who gave her day one not only two thumbs up but two feet up too, inclusive of fingers and toes)
Dad had to circle back to pick up are to thank us- again.
To say how he has never seen his daughter so enthusiastic and happy after a day of anything.
How thankful he was to all of us.

But really Dad
It's you we should be thanking.
Thank you for allowing us to get to know your amazing child and for trusting us to spend a week getting to know of all her strengths and loves.
Thank you for allowing us to help her not think about cancer for a week.
For allowing her to feel a part of something- somewhere- where she is not cancer girl.

I get this.
I totally get wanting to forget about being cancer girl.
Even if it is only for 5 days.

(Shameless plug. Want to find out more about the aweseomness? )
www.campcasco.org


Comments