Skip to main content

The farce called Social Media

You know how sometimes you look on social media and you think- why aren’t I as pretty, skinny, happy, or fit as her?
Or you think- why don’t my kids get along like theirs do?
Or why aren’t they happy when they’re on vacation like x, y and z’s are?
We’ve all been there.
Because that’s what social media is.
A snapshot of the glory days.
Or the moments of peace.
But today, as I sat on a beach, I realized (or was reminded actually) that it’s all a farce.
Well, it’s probably true that you have a friend (or 50) that may be prettier thinner or more fit.
But I guarantee their children are not as perfect as appearing.
As I sunned alone (along with the 5000 others) a mom and her two young-ish kids planted down next to me.
I didn’t even look up because I didn’t need to. The picture was painted for me.
Charlie, help me with this umbrella.
No not in a minute, now.
Ashley I wasn’t even talking to you- relax.
Shoot this umbrella isn’t working. Charlie help me do this. No not that way this way.
Ashley- Sit in the shade til daddy gets here and just keep quiet or help with the umbrella.
Why can’t this umbrella go up?
(Charlie explains that mom is doing it wrong but she has no time to listen. Turns out, Charlie was correct)
Ashley do you want a water?
No? No?
Yes it’s cold.
Charlie, do you want a water?
No? No?
Ok let’s take a quick vacation pic
For granny.
Snap.
A photo.
Happy clams.
A snapshot.
A moment.
What we see is not the full picture.
Does Charlie and Ashley’s mom love them to pieces?
Of course she does. (I’m guessing. I don’t know Charlie or Ashley’s mom. )
But 5 minutes ago they were all screaming at each other.
I smiled to myself.
Because I was so happy they were screaming.
Because there was screaming in my house hours before.
And I’m guessing screaming at yours at some point .
And if there isn’t
You’re lying.
There is no perfect family.
Or person.
Social media is all a snapshot .
A glimpse.
Take it with a grain of salt
(Over your margarita preferably)

Comments