Skip to main content

I married a Penn Stater

I am a mother of two young boys
I am not a Penn State Alumni
I did marry one however.

As a Mother, I am saddened and disgusted for the crimes that were committed to these young boys (now men) The pain and torture they have been living with for all this time is unimaginable to me. I think of my six and eight year old sons and tears fill my eyes. Their innocence was taken away by an awful man.

Last night I was awoken and saw Dear Husband watching ESPN. "What's going on?" I asked groggily. "They just fired Paterno"
Earier that day I had voiced my opinon to my very devoted Penn State husband as well as to his equally devoted PSU friends. Joe Paterno did not commit a crime. He didnt follow up enough. He is a coach, a mentor, a father figure to so many at Penn State. He had an obligation as that role model to follow up. He didnt. It's terrible that he didnt. Think all you want of the man but he was not the molester.
 So now all day long I am reading articles about how Paterno was let go. Was it wrong? What's your opinon? He is a  legacy and this is how he will be remembered. Sadly.

Not once today have I heard about the other two idiots (Tim Curley and Gary Schultz) I havent heard about how disgraceful it was of them not to do anything. I havent heard much  about Sandusky and I havent heard NEARLY enough about an actual crime being committed. A crime. A crime against defenseless boys. Innocent boys.

Do I think Paterno was in the wrong? I think he had an obligation (as to who he was at the University) to do more. He is a Father. A Grandfather. He should have done more.
The fact that he didnt; is terrible.
The man's legacy has died because of this horrific tragic story.
The media has tainted stories and have made this about Joe Paterno and Penn State not about a child molestor.
This is about a man who actually made a charity to protect children.
This is about a sick, perverted monster.

I know there are so many different opinons today about Joe Paterno
I dont know the man personally
I have no connection to Penn State other than through marriage
I still think it is wrong.
It is wrong to end his career this way.
It is wrong to make this story about him.
Lets focus on the real issue; the real story.

 I wish he had resigned on his own terms.
But he didnt
And for those of you who dont know any Penn State Alumni let me tell you what I know first hand.
That is one loyal group.
They not only are students but they LOVE their college
They love everything Penn State stands for and has done for them.
They will not let others opinions get them down.
They really do act as one.
And that; I dont think even the media can take away.

So now we have a Football Coach who not only was a legend but gave a lot more than just Football to Penn State
We now have a fired college President.
We now have 8 (and Im sure more) young men who are bravely coming forth with their story.

There is no happy outcome
But please remember what this story is all about

Comments