Skip to main content

Blessings

Countdown is on.
T-7 to new breast day.
To flatter abs.
To days on a morphine pump
To drugs to mask the pain and to sleeping off the surgery.

Drugs, Flat Abs and Rest.

Maybe it wont be so bad after all?
And did I mention 3 -5 days in the hospital?
Maybe I will have a view of the Charles and it will seem like a mini vacation.

But probably not.

What I am learning through all of this is that cancer...it's a process.
A really long one.
And I know that I wont forever be "Abby the cancer girl" but I will be "Abby, the girl who had cancer"

Someone said to me the other day "You are here. You are alive. You should feel blessed".

Blessed and cancer do not belong in the same breath.

There is no blessing from having cancer.
Not a one.
Sure it's changed me.

And maybe some for the better but I think I would've been for the better without the cancer so a blessing?
Not so much.

My blessings are my kids (when youngest isn't yelling at me that I'm stressing him out and not helping complete his red blood cell project) (and when oldest isn't staring at a phone mumbling under his breath at me)
My blessings are my husband (when he comes home with not one but TWO bags of my favorite fun size candy bar to keep in the hospital in case I have a chocolate craving. (The funny part of that sentence of course is IN CASE because OF COURSE there will be a chocolate craving)
(And if you're on the edge of your seat wondering what the favorite fun size is it's the 100 Grand Bar)
My blessings are that This is Us replaced Parenthood as all time favorite show, that Bill Belichick literally makes me laugh out loud during 5th quarter interviews and that I have the worlds best dog who never barks.
My blessings are that people actually read what I have to say.
That people like my posts, reach out to me to say they are thinking of me, that I am loved.
My blessings are all of you (except rude panera man but I doubt he is reading my blog). Hokey I know  but I told you before cancer makes you super sappy.

So village peeps, thanks for being with me every step of the way.
For letting me vent and complain.
For giving me hugs (virtually or in person)
For cards and texts.
For lunches and love.

T-7.
See you on the other side.



Comments