Skip to main content

It all circles back to camp

I mention quite often that the 12 summers I spent at MY camp were/are some of my most favorite memories. I learned how to do a square stitch with gimp, capsize a canoe (and get back in it) and how to serve a volleyball. I developed a love for Boston Cream Pie (BCP) and to this day there will be nothing that can compare to the shabbos bread served at Saturday morning breakfasts.  My non campy friends always laugh saying I know everyone from camp but, it's the truth. Wherever we go there is a camp connection.  It ALL circles back to camp.

There are thousands of reasons why going to overnight camp is so wonderful but I realized activities that I did as a kid, impacted me as an adult.

Here me out:
After breakfast we were sent back to bunks for clean up. Make your beds and straighten out your area.
 40 years later; no lie, this is how I start my day.
With hospital corners.

Buddy up. A term yelled during free swim so they could count to make sure no children were lost in the lake.  I've applied this a lot lately through my cancer treatment. Iv'e grabbed a couple friends who would hold my head above water. Ones who would keep me from drowning.
BUDDY UP.

Color war. The camp was divided in two and we were placed on a team where we yelled and screamed and cheered and participated in events. We were passionate.  We high fived our teammates and tried our best effort- all wanting a common goal.
Find something you believe in and go and fight it with all your gusto. Bonus if you wear crazy hats and war paint on your face.

Friday night song session was when we would sing and dance around the mess hall. We would link arm and arm at our tables and sway while we sang songs.
Dance like no one is watching.  Unite.  Grab a pal and put your arm around them and belt out the chorus to Piano Man. (or in my day, #71 in the blue song book)

Bunk Activity. This was a time after dinner where kids got to be kids. We ran around playing games, sports, or just walking around camp. As we became teenagers the girls went to see how many boys we could flirt with and would often congregate on something called "the rock".
Which is, you know, a rock.
It was the hang out place of Camp Tel Noar located smack in the middle of camp where we could see all the action.
We were care free. We hung with friends in the fresh air. There were no electronics and video games. We were just being young. Remember that feeling?

Relax n' slacks.  Ok, I'm totally dating myself because I don't think anyone uses the word slacks anymore, except my 88 year old Mother. But relax n' slacks  was often on a rainy day or sometimes even chosen as a bunk night activity. We put on oversized sweatshirts and played jacks in the lounge, read a book, gosspied or colored.
Go old school and grab a pen and paper and write someone an actual letter telling them you're thinking of them. Breathe and chill. Make s'mores.  Go relax- in slacks (with a snack!)

Taps- after evening activity ,if we had a camper who knew how to play a trumpet- taps was played. We shushed each other and shut off the bunk lights and remained quiet while we listened to the 12 year old belting out the song that he learned from Middle School Band. I don't think they carry on this tradition anymore but I think it's one which should be reinstated. A peaceful message before we go to bed in the world we are living in would do us all some good.

Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky.
All is well.
Safely rest.
God is nigh.

Comments