Skip to main content

I'm really not all zen

So I claim that my new lifestyle is going to be zen.
Breathing. Counting to 10 before exploding. Healthy eating. Smelling flowers and all that.
And I really mean it.
In the moment.

And then my kids do something irritating like leaving the notebook on the kitchen table after I've asked at least 5 times to move it and I lose my zen.
Because I'm only human.
I cant be breathing and inhaling fresh roses 24/7 after all.
Being all zen- after cancer or not- doesn't mean you can't blow up from time to time.
It doesn't mean that the little things that irritated you pre-zen are all of a sudden going to be less irritating. This is clearly a work in progress.
But the difference that I see in myself is there. For better or for worse.

Read an article today from Shannen Doherty and how surviving breast cancer has caused her a rollercoaster of emotions.
I've mentioned that on any given day I could be feeling great, angry, rejuvenated or sad. Cancer is definitely a giant case of PMS on steroids.

Today is a gorgeous day in New England. Although Spring is my favorite season I do love a good snuggle on the couch with a warm blanket and the dog (umm, did I just say the dog who is not supposed to be on the couch is snuggling on the couch with me?) And today is a good day. I had minor surgery the other day in prep for the big new boob surgery. This one was about cutting arteries which sounds worse than it was in spite of a brief syncope episode and some smelling salts but that's neither here nor there. Because you know..
zen and all.

I was never a fan of Brenda/Shannen but reading her post just made me nod and nod again. It is so comforting to know we are not alone in this cancer hell and that those who have walked the walk get the talk.
And those who are fortunate enough not to have walked, I thank you.
I thank you for reaching out to me or liking my post or sending me love and for trying to understand it.
I hope you never have to walk in my flip flops or winter boots or my cute new TOMS that I just bought but if you do, Brenda and I are here for you.


Comments