Skip to main content

Practice and preach

Today I received this email from the principal at my son's middle school
that would be MIDDLE SCHOOL for those that didn't comprehend the word the first time
that would be children mostly ranging from 11-14.

"I am writing to inform you that a swastika was drawn in a boys bathroom.  We have been able to identify the student responsible for this incident and disciplinary action has been taken.  Experiences like this one allow us to continue to teach students about the impact words and actions have on our community.  While this situation is upsetting, I am proud of the actions taken by students who reported the situation and helped with our investigation.  I believe these students did exactly what we want them to do in order to keep our environment safe and welcoming for all students."

A family discussion was had. 

My first reaction was that of disgust. 
Then came disbelief (because, after all, we are talking MIDDLE SCHOOL).
Then I went to anger (hoping that this child is suspended at the least)

I talked to my boys about anti semitism. 
Being a jewish family we know it well.

I grew up in a predominantly jewish city. 
Being jewish was the norm in my school so having a long last name with an "itz" at the end was not anything to blink twice at. 

I attended a jewish summer camp for 12 years so the better part of my younger years was spent being surrounded by, fellow jews. 

Until I entered college. 
And my college roommate (who I adore) told me I was the first jewish person she ever met. 
I soon became a minority. 
And it was, for a lack of a better word, weird. 

There was no anti semitism on my campus (that I was aware of. I'm sure that was just me being naive and it happened somewhere) but I always felt like the odd man out. 
There were church services on Sunday, talks of Easter egg hunts and pictures with Santa in the dining hall. I cant remember a piece of matzah ever being served or a menorah being lit.

I was not a devout jewish woman. 
My friday nights were not spent at services and in my grown up years, I rarely even go to temple on the high holidays.
That being said, I am a jewish woman and proud of who I am. 
I am raising my boys to be proud of their heritage (even though we do not belong to a temple) I never want them to hide or be afraid of their jewish identity. 

I am raising my children in a town that is not predominantly jewish. 
We are not the odd men out by any means but when I got the email, a chill went down my spine.

This is 2019. 
I realize there is anti semitism all over the country. 
I  see it in the news
people being shot at and killed for being a minority
I hear about it happening on college campuses
and every time I hear about it, I cringe and anger and sadden.

This is not the first time that I have received an email from our town talking about a swastika being painted at the school. 
This is not the first discussion I have had to have with my children about hatred.
And sadly
so so sadly
this will not be the last.

Practice kindness.
And then preach it. 
And show by example

This child was in middle school.
He had to learn it from somewhere


Comments