Skip to main content

Friends friends friends

Friends Friends Friends
We will always be
Weather in fair or in dark stormy weather...

I don't remember the rest
Or maybe that was the end of the song.
We sang it at camp a few times.

Was having lunch with a close friend today and we got to talking about our teens.
We all have the same hopes as they navigate these waters.
We hope that they walk with good people.
We hope as they try to figure out who they are, that they keep close to their hearts what is most important.

And what would that be?

At my wise old age of 51 I like to think I have infinite wisdom on the subject.

I had besties in elementary school, another set in junior high
and yup- a different set in HS.

Did I change? Did they?
I would think a little of both?

And that's par for the course.

We are constantly evolving at that age.

As parents, we hope that the evolving thing keeps them grounded.

We hope they realize that the cool kids may not actually be so cool to hang around.

We hope they trust their guts and have a little fear in them that their Mother is always watching.


In 51 years I've had different friends.
Some have come and gone.

I have kept dear friends (since the age of 9 ) as my besties and have made new friends in my grown up years who I consider equally as dear.

What did  I figure out in my 51 years about friendship?

I have learned what my Mom always told me.
That if you can count your dear friends on one hand- you are truly blessed.
I call them my 911 friends.
I know they would drop anything and I would do the same for them.

I don't need my kid to have 100 friends.
Just a handful of 911 ones.

You know how you know a true friend?

When you meet for lunch
and you leave happy.

It's that simple.
I pray my kids don't need to wait 51 years to figure that out.



Comments