Skip to main content

No one is any less important

My friend and I were talking the other day about how people have told her she “doesn’t look jewish”.
We pondered together.
What does it mean to look jewish?
Was she missing her jewish star tattoo ? A big nose?
I know jews that are tall, short, skinny, heavy, white, dark, and blond. Please tell me what a Jew looks like.

Apparently also,  all males who enjoy theatre and acting are gay.
Okay George, Brad, Denzel and Leonardo - did you hear that?

Black men have rhythm and are athletic.

Asian? Genius.

Tall skinny white boy- Why aren’t you playing basketball instead of enjoying the trumpet?

In a wheelchair? Must be different. Let’s not approach.

STOP THE STEREOTYPES!

We are in 2020 and we are still talking about issues from decades ago. I want so much better for my kids.

I want youngest to enjoy his love of theatre without people putting him in a category.
I want oldest to be listened to in spite of a speech impediment.
I want you to stop assuming my kids play sports because they are boys.
Don’t assume jews, blacks, gays, disabled, transgendered are any less worthy than you.

And while I’m on my rampage - I understand Kobe Bryant was the well known figure who died in this helicopter crash but the other lives are  being overlooked.
I was listening to the husband of Christina Mauser call into the Today Show and asked “can I tell you about my wife?”
Yes. Please do. Because she is equally as important.
She is another human being- just like Kobe, who died tragically and too soon.

Be kind.
Teach your children to be tolerant and accepting and inclusive.

No one is less important.
No one is more important.



Comments