Skip to main content

Checkmate

 We are all in love with our 8 month old Bernedoodle;  Skylar. 

She seriously is very smart and cute as can be but she doesn’t know how to sleep late. 
So we now ignore her.

457AM I hear the clicking of her paw nails against the hardwood floor in our bedroom and I know what comes next. 
Her wet nose nudging me.
Ignore. Ignore.
But then her front paws come into the bed. 
“Down” I say in my loud whisper. 
She obeys.
Do not pet the cute dog.

I roll over facing away from her.
She is no dummy and makes her way over to the other side of the bed, nudging DH.

Ignore. 
We remain like statues. 
One false move and it’s all over .
I have serious heartburn and I’m desperate need of TUMS. 
Plus I need to pee.

I mentally will DH to get up.
I can tell he’s getting restless. 
The man falls asleep within 2 minutes but once he is up in the mornings- he is up. 
Unlike me.
Who, even if I was up, could happily lie in bed all day long. 

This is like a chess game.
All
About strategy.
Ignore.
Ignore.

Paw nails click and then thump. 
She gave up.
Victory for the humans.

We make small movement. 
A toss here and a turn there.

Dog thinks “ha- I knew they wouldn’t last long”
DH gets up.

5:17 AM
Dog: checkmate 



Comments