Skip to main content

It's Pinktober once again

It’s pinktober.
If you ask a breast cancer survivor, most will say every day is pinktober.
Because breast cancer is never far from our mind.

Once you join the sisterhood (not to be exclusive because there are men who get breast cancer ), it becomes a part of who you are.

Does it define you?
Maybe.
Does it give you a different perspective on life?
Most usually.
Does it scare you of returning?
Yup.

I don’t live my life in fear  (that is sometimes a lie) but I would be totally lying if I said I don’t panic more than usual.

I’ve gone through this crappy disease twice.
I say the first time I got off “easy” and by “easy” I mean “ONLY” a mastectomy with implant reconstruction.
And by only I mean 3 drains, 2 nights inpatient, 3 cosmetic revisions, and physical therapy bc I ended up getting a frozen shoulder. (And  then shoulder surgery to boot)

I spent 5 years on tamoxifen (resulting in more womanly surgeries due to some side effects) and reached the 5 year “woot woot”‘ mark which "means" (read: not always) you’re over a giant hurdle.

So that was my getting off “easy”.

And then I found the lump.
8 years out.

Two lumpectomies later out came the implant.
Followed by a year of having a port, 12 rounds of chemo, 35 rounds of radiation, a year of infusion therapy (thanks to having an aggressive form) and a flap surgery (which is no walk in the park recovery).

I am now on another 5 years of cancer preventive drugs.

Sorry to pour my history out but my point is- I don’t need pinktober to remind me to have your mammogram.

And neither should you.

If I may, let me pass on some words of advice.

Not only get your yearly mammogram but know your body.
Do self breast exams (this is how I found cancer #2).
Know what they feel like and if there is any change- you will know sooner than your yearly mammogram.
Trust your instincts and go with your gut.
No (good) physician will mind you coming in with a concern and end up having it be nothing.

If you do anything to honor pinktober, please donate to a reputable organization or your local hospital cancer center, and help to  find a cure for breast cancer.


Stay safe. 
Wear a mask.
Get your mammograms.

Comments