Skip to main content

Eat the frosting first. And mean it.

 So you know how people say to you "life is short. live in the moment".

And you think, yea, I totally get that. But then life happens and you become crazy busy with kids and their activities, and jobs and housework.. that it becomes really hard to live in the moment. 

And then the end of the day comes around and you want to sit down with your family and friends and remind them how much you care about them but you end up collapsing in front of your latest Netflix binge. 

And you think tomorrow I will call my Mom or grandparent or BFF to catch up and at the end of the phone call I will make sure to say I love you so that they know. 

But then tomorrow becomes a repeat of yesterday.

Here's the thing.

It is true that life is short.

Life can change in a heartbeat and sadly, people I know have had that happen to them the past few weeks. 

A 50 year old man that I went to summer camp with passed away suddenly, leaving behind a wife and two small children. 

This past summer we became friends with a couple we met in Maine. Just today I heard the husband died of a heart attack. He is survived by his wife and three children.  We were supposed to be meeting up with them for dinner next weekend. 

Sadly this is the 4th person I have heard of who has died suddenly in the last few months. 

These are not 80 year old people. 

These are young healthy men. 

If Covid has brought us any silver linings, it has been to teach us to slow ourselves down. It has taught us to spend time with those we love and to soak it all in.

Make memories. 

Laugh a lot.

Listen (really listen. Listen to HEAR what they are saying)

Cherish.

Hug (when it's safe to do so)

Say I love you. More than once. Mean it. 

Stop worrying about the few extra lbs and tell your kid not to worry out about her upcoming math test.  Surround yourself with people that make you smile and rid those who cause you stress. 

At the end of the day, make sure you climb into bed feeling like you made the most of what you could.

And then do it all again tomorrow. 


I'm off to go hug my family.

And eat the frosting first. 


Comments

  1. So true!

    I've been beating myself up because I have a LOT of stuff in my house. Then an old (OLD) boyfriend got in touch. And as I tried to sum up 45 years of my life, I started to realize that I've done okay. (Turns out he is wildly successful...so that might not have made me feel that great. Glad for him, but...you know...road not taken.)

    So if I've done okay for 45 years of my life, I don't need to beat myself up because an extra bedroom has a lot of junk in it. I still want to clean up, but stressing over it is not worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment