Skip to main content

Wishes...

Wishes.....


Here I am.
With a senior in highschool.
I was pretty sure one day I would be here; but back when he was 6 months old, when Dr. R  told me he would need a tracheostomy to breathe, I was not sure what his future would look like. 

At two years old when he was in and out of the hospital with countless pneumonias and RSV, all I could think about was; would this ever end?

At 4 years old, when he was in preschool and our afternoons were being spent at private speech therapy, feeding therapy, and occupational therapy,  I wished and wished that he would be having a playdate with a fellow classmate instead. 

In Elementary school, I wanted him to have a complete day like the other kids. Instead, he was being pulled out of the class for extra help. 

You get the gist. 

My wishes went on and on as he grew. 
I wanted normalcy but what exactly does that look like? 
And also, was what I thought it looked like; going to work for him?

We all want this idea of "normalcy".

We want our kids to be included and to be inclusive.
We want them to ask questions and to find their way.
We want them to be respected and respectful. 

Pathways for children with special needs may look different than others.

But pathways for ALL children may look different than others.

There is no one path.

Isn't that so amazing?
Different paths. 
We all get to choose our own path! What a novel idea?!

Oldest has chosen that college was part of his path.
And I'm so beyond proud that not only, has he defied so many odds, but he has pushed and progressed and is still the amazing, kind kid that he is meant to be. 

But here's the thing. 
I'm still wishing.
He is 18 and I am still wishing for him to get invited to playdates and not get pulled out of class and even to stop getting pneumonias.

My kid has obstacles.
But he also has so many strengths.
And oodles to offer.

I hope his future allows the opportunity for everyone to see that.

Comments