Skip to main content

I wish I was off to summer camp

My niece starts overnight camp today. Many of my friends have children old enough to experience it as well.
I'm so envious.
I know I've written about this before but I spent 13 summers at Camp Tel Noar. A Jewish overnight camp in Hampstead NH where, I can honestly say, made some of the best memories of my life.
It is there where I learned to overcome my shyness with boys
learned to swim (albeit poorly)
participated in plays (although I always was in the chorus--being tone deaf and all)
Learned a mean volleyball serve
Made my best friend (and countless of other dear friends who I hold close in my life to this day)
learned to tie dye, learned I hated rollercoasters, loved Boston Cream Pie and spent each summer for at least 7 years, suffering from strep throat.
The good ol' days
Summer camp is not only a place to gain independence but a place where you can be yourself. The shy ones and the popular kids come together in one bunk and form a group for 8 weeks (or 4) Sure, there are cliques. Not everyone is buddy buddy and yes, unfortunately kids are still picked on. I suppose not everyone left camp with the fond memories and experiences that I did.
But, each year at the end of June I get this yearning to go back. To sing camp songs and meet with my friends during bunk activity. To days where my only problems were cold showers and what to wear to the social. The days when my life was a bit more carefree and filled each day, each moment, with something to do.
So for those with children embarking onto camp for their first time, I know you are sad to let them go but know that you, too, are wishing you could be there right along side of them for the next few weeks.
And, as you drive away and wave to them, each of you shedding a few tears, I'm sure you are thinking....4 weeks of alone time!! WOOHOO!!

Comments