Skip to main content

A walk in the woods

In case you're wondering how I'm doing with working at camp while simultaneously undergoing radiation - I am in my PJ's at 445pm on a Thursday afternoon.

People saying you will feel fatigue during treatment do not understand cancer. Fatigue is: "tired. needing a nap". Cancer fatigue is "freaking exhausted. Your body has nothing left and you need to sleep for 20 hours".

I dropped youngest off at overnight camp yesterday and it is indeed his happiest day of the year. It's one of mine too. He is quite independent and me staying longer than 5 minutes in his bunk is already 4 minutes too long. I make sure (god forbid) no one is watching as I grab a hug and a smooch and am on my way. On my way around camp that is. There is no way I'm heading home when I get to walk around my happy place too and see all of my alumni friends. So many former bunk mates and campers of mine send their children there now so it's definitely a fun day for us all.

Walking into camp I knew immediately I would not feel like cancer girl. I've mentioned before that my camp peeps are the ones I feel most myself with so the fact that I was greeted with true, wonderful hugs and smiles just gave me the added reminder that I have the most  wonderful village behind me. A few didn't know about the cancer (What? There are people not on facebook following my blog?) but no pity looks- just love.

My skin is starting to become darker and more sore from the radiation. I'm tired of driving into the hospital every day- hitting the construction traffic on Rt 128 and it's not even half way done.

The "walk in the park" is now a bit of a walk in the woods.....

with tics.

Comments