Skip to main content

24 hours

My 24 hours has been an episode of a bad sitcom starting  with a Nor Easter the morning of my surgery (port removal- hooray! And surgery to even out fake breast and real breast . I’ll call them f and r for short )
The boys didn’t have school due to above storm and although they’re old enough to stay alone all day ; I was worried about power outages. DH is an extremely devoted husband and always stays with me pre during and post surgeries. Convincing him to leave me once I was wheeled in to be with the kids was tough (and appreciative of his love to me) but he complied. The good news is so many schools were cancelled so the highways were clear and going from home to Boston was record time for us.
As I waited for awesome camp surgeon to come in I discussed in detail w anasthesia my history of post op nausea and vomiting. They assured me they’re on it and would try some different drugs to help me out. I wasn’t convinced as I’ve heard this before but ok- maybe this time I won’t be nauseous. ACS arrived (awesome camp surgeon- follow along here peeps) to draw on me. Yes that’s what they do. They take out their blue bic pen and draw on where they will cut and slice and work their magic. I thought maybe we could play hangman but you know, I didn’t want to slow down his schedule. I giggled a bit as the pen went across my breast as ACS asked me if this was weird for me. I’ve told you that all humility goes out the window with cancer - especially breast cancer because everyone is always checking out your boobs so yea - draw away.

Two hours later I was awake yet drugged up like never before. Honestly the nurse would talk to me and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. DH arrived and said he couldn’t believe I was still so drugged. That should’ve been a sign of what was to come.

Boys texted that our power went out so I rushed through my ginger ale and graham crackers and begged to go home even though wonderful nurse Karen was not thrilled with my plan- I could barely walk.

DH led me upstairs with a flashlight as I could barely shuffle my way into bed. Pain was there but the nausea was pretty bad at this point. This was followed by hours of intense vomiting, in the dark, and a migraine behind my eyes that wouldn’t quit. I cursed anasthesia and their “trying something different this time”. Damn you surgeries and drugs and eff you cancer for putting me here praying to the porcelain god. IN THE DARK.  Empathy is not in my loving children’s hearts as they were more concerned when the internet would come back to life.  Power was restored but our Verizon fios failed us and our battery box blew. In simpler terms no phone tv or internet . You would think we were living in a third world country the way we were all upset. In my defense-tv is a major necessity for  recovering from surgery.

At this point power was restored and DH had been on hold with Verizon for 2 hours without luck. We slept. Boys back at school. Sears repair man showed up at 8am to tell us it would be $1000k to repair our leaky fridge. I’m watching NBC with an antenna. We called xfinity to get a better deal and I screamed at fios after an hour wait in the AM and finally getting through to them (I’m sorry but of course I played the cancer card)
My dog has been whining for over an hour as she is locked in the bedroom with me and she only wants to play with the Sears
repair man who is trying to sell an appliance repair plan to us.

On top of all this fun I had to call our local police this morning as two men were outside our front door and then went around to the garage for quite a while. I was certain they were staking out my house to rob us. Turns out they were dropped off at the wrong address and were repair men waiting for a ride to pick them up. Why they felt the need to hang out by my garage is beyond me but a big thank you to our town police department for coming and checking it out and making me feel safe .

A shout out to composene and furicette for curing my migraine and nausea.

A shout out to my dear dear friends who let me vent and cry to them early this morning.

And always- a deserved shout out to DH who really is my rock. Thanks to him I’m watching Kathy Lee and Hoda by antenna and when I woke him at 1am because I was finally feeling like eating he went downstairs to get me a snack. He also bought me a pink sands Yankee Candle last week. I didn’t realize how much I would love it til I saw the front label telling me I’ll be celebrating turning 50 in Bermuda. Me and him. Sun and pink sand . It won’t be on my bday because he knew I wanted to be with my kids that day. Not to make anyone vomit but he really is my savior. I’ve leaned that this year more than ever.

And of course a shout out to my village for reading and being a part of my story.

Much love

Comments