Skip to main content

For gods sake, just be kind

I am by no means a saint.

There are people I do not like.
I gossip with my besties.
I am constantly ripping on news reporters and TV shows that aren't being realistic.
I yell at my kids more than I care to admit.
I sometimes yell at the dog. (In my defense, why does she need to circle 8 times before she finds a place to do her business? In the freezing cold?)
I lose my patience easily.

But I think I have a good heart.
I have a tremendous amount of empathy.
It's really not that difficult to be kind.

Remember the old saying
"if you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

Again.
No saint.
But usually if I don't have anything nice to say I bite my tongue (and maybe will then say it later to my husband, or best friend)

No saint.

HOWEVER
this making fun of people with disabilities is just beyond being mean.
It is really inhumane.

Who on earth raised you to think you are better than someone else?
How about, for just a second, putting yourself in someone else's shoes.
(By the way, it's how you learn to empathize)

To make fun of someone who has a challenge....
is beyond low.

This has always been my stance but my blood boiled even more than usual this morning when I saw that Sarah Huckabee Sanders mocked Joe Biden for stuttering.

This hit me in the heart.
Not because I love Joe so much but because oldest is in his shoes.
(With the stuttering. Not running for President. But you know- think big kid. Someday he maybe could be in his shoes. The world is your oyster. The sky is the limit. The world is yours to have. You get my gist)


So yes, hit me in the heart.
As most of you are aware, he came into this world 3 months early, and because of that, has had medical and learning struggles a good chunk of his life.
One is  speech impediment and I see the struggle.

Because of his challenges, I have been privy to meet others with similar challenges.

Physical and mental disabilities.
Learning disabilities.
Learning challenges.
Mental health challenges.

Being a parent to my oldest son, has molded me into the person I am today.
My eyes are wider
My heart is more open
My hugs a little tighter

My tolerance of taking cheap shots at people with ANY disability is NILL.

You; Sarah, should be ashamed of yourself
I hope you woke up this morning and hung your head low.
I hope you walk a walk some day in someone's shoes less fortunate than you-

and learn what is means to have empathy.

My dear village
we need to do better than this.
We need to teach our kids that we are all the same people inside.
Trying our damndest to make it through tough days.
Coming together to celebrate our good days.

Just be kind.

It is not that fucking hard!










Comments