Skip to main content

Raise a glass and auld lang syne

Dear 2019,

You didn't take the 15 lbs I begged you to take.
I tried compromising.
I told you that I would've been fine with just 10.
But here we are again.
Resoluting for my 16th year to lose weight. (If resoluting is not a word, it really should be)

Ironic that I've been wanting to lose weight for the same amount of years I've been a mother?  I don’t think so.

You continue to give me hot flashes.
And migraines.
I blame my cancer meds.
Because I can.
I blame everything on cancer.

Dear 2019
You were okay to me
but not so kind to others.

You gave a friend cancer.
And another.
And another.
And even my dog.

But you also gave me another year with my aging Mom.

Another trip around the sun with two of my most favorite children in the entire world.
And favorite husband.
And favorite dog.

I got to walk along beaches
and listen to waves
I sailed on the ocean
went to the theatre
cheered on my favorite sports team
experienced a heat wave
picked tulips
ate cider donuts
had a clean mammogram
drove oldest to his first job
watched youngest graduate middle school
lunched with dear friends
visited with old friends

Dear 2019
You were okay
But I'm looking forward to starting off a new decade

kinder
with more patience
and less lbs (!!)

Raise a glass
we'll take a cup of kindness yet
and auld lang syne
(Whatever that may mean)

Wishing you all good things in 2020
Thanks for being with me


Comments