Skip to main content

Mom

As I sit in my house on this sleety snowy rainy miserable ass day,
I ponder.
It’s what I do.
Seriously if I’m listing things I excel at- pondering is right up there with obsessing and over analyzing.
Today my ponder is about the elderly.

My mom is my bff.
If you were a fly in our house from the ages of 12-18 you may be laughing your ass off right now.
But it’s true.
We survived the teen years (there is hope for me and my boys)
And she became my best friend.
(Not to diminish my other BFF since the age of 9; who is a BFF in a completely different capacity)

So mom became my go to person.

No date on a Saturday night?
No problem. We went to the movies.
Crying I was still single on my 30th birthday? Spa day with Mom.
This only accelerated when I became a mom myself.

Kid coughing? Not eating? Making me a premature gray haired woman?
Called mom.
Hourly.

My mother is now 90.
She is not the person she was; which is often heartbreaking.
Yet, there are many times that she still is.

I miss her- yet she is still here.
Complicated (but my guess is many of you can relate)

Whether we have lost a parent (my dad died in 2010) or watching our parents age, it’s never easy.

Tables have turned.

We are now making sure they are wearing a warm coat when they go out, are eating enough, or getting to the doctor.
Many of us are caretakers.
Many of us have parents living in “facility” (sometimes a godsend. Sometimes saddening)

We are now parents to our kids and parents to our parents.
I believe they call this the sandwich generation.

It kind of sucks.
Because there are so many days that I still need my Mom to be my Mom.

On this rainy day I normally would call her and share a gossip, discuss a book I was reading or complain about the TMJ that is still making me want to remove my jaw with a sledgehammer.

So I do call.
No gossip.
No book discussion.
But it's a child's duty to forever complain, so I made sure I got in the TMJ complaint.

Mom may not be the same at 90
But she is still my Mom.


**To those that can still celebrate with your parent(s), please cherish the time.
(And be thankful they are still here to celebrate with.)

For those of you missing your parents today, may your memories stay close in your heart.

Happy Holidays


Comments