Skip to main content

Going back in time

So if you could go back in time, would you?

In many cases.. I would.
A time when life was easier
less problems
less worries..

This past weekend I got to go back in time.
To one of my favorite childhood (and adult) places
Camp.

12 summers were spent at camp, in a small town; Hampstead NH.
1977-1989 (minus 1986 where I was too in love with my HS boyfriend to leave him for camp)
It was our reunion and we got to spend the day there.
Bunks seemed much smaller, as did the whole camp.
I ran into people I hadn't seen in 20+ yrs,
Some I reconnected with on facebook
Some I've remained close with.
Whoever it was, the day was perfect.

It's hard to explain if you don't get the "camp" thing.
I have many friends, including my own dear husband, who didn't have this experience so I understand it all seems a bit weird.
But there's just something special about the camp connection.
And not just for me
For most who were there this past Saturday
We all said the same thing.

Years pass but we pick up as if we just saw each other
It's a place where you're comfortable.
Where you can be yourself
Where you can escape from the real world and go back to an easier time.

We would leave after 8 weeks and come home and spend the next few days calling or writing letters (pre-email days!) to our "camp friends".
We would look through our yearbooks over and over again; reading what people wrote. Or we would spend time reminiscing through pictures.
We would count the days until next summer.

So I'm feeling that feeling..
wishing I could count the days until next summer when I could go back to camp.
My place of comfort and familiarity
My place of safety and unconditional friendships

To go back in time......

Comments