Skip to main content

Before I was a Mom/Now that I'm a Mom



Before:  Let my kids play in those public play spaces? (Germs, boogers, spit and drool?) No thank you!
After: Play spaces? Hell yea! Something to do on a winter snowy day when the kids are young? Beats loading them up in a snowsuit and it's at least an hour of entertainment. Plus on occasion you meet another cool Mom.

Before: No TV. I will not use the TV as a babysitter.
After: Disney Channel? Nick JR? Enough said

Before: I will buy organic baby food. I will make wonderfully healthy dinners and snacks.
After: Youngest actually ate beautifully up until the age of 3. When he then discovered McDonald's french fries and that chicken nuggets are pretty much on every restaurant menu that we frequented. Kid never met a carb he didn't like. Green food? Yea, not so much.

Before: I will dress my child in cute clothes all the time because...well, because he looks cute.
After: My kids go through jeans as often as I change my underwear. Dirt and grass stains, stretched out t-shirts, permanent food stains. Cheap and practical trumped cute once they turned 3.

Before: I will not compare my children to other children. I will realize that each child develops at their own speed and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses.
After:  Holy crap! Your kid is walking at 10 months? He is speaking full sentences at 2? Ran my kid to speech therapy the minute he wasn't saying MAMA on time. Now he doesn't stop talking. Note to self: don't compare kids. 

Before: I will not yell.
After : Seriously?

Comments