Skip to main content

Enough Angelina Jolie!

Enough Angelina Jolie!
I cannot stand seeing her on the news, magazine covers, op-ed pieces.
It was bad enough that we were admiring that she adopted her 15 children from 10 countries but now we have to put her on a pedestal because she had a double mastectomy?

Listen, I think it's great she put herself out there and gave others an opportunity to learn about the BRCA gene and to give awareness about breast cancer, having options, etc

What I CANNOT stand is that Angelina, you are NOT the first person to have a double mastectomy.
Nor are you the first person to have your wonderful husband stand by your side.

Big freakin' deal.

I had my breast removed-where is the NY times?
Dear Husband? Right by my side. Working the breast drain (eww, gross), getting my drugs, helping me shampoo my hair.

 She's no different (other than having big lips and a hunky husband) than the woman in North Dakota who did the same preventitive mastectomy because she wanted to make sure she was around for her kids.
She is no braver than the woman in Florida who decided to have her ovaries removed because her mother also died of ovarian cancer.
I realize not everyone can be on the cover of a magazine and I realize she may be a role model for some.
I admire her for talking about it but for gods sake lets not act like this isnt happening around us..every single day.
Like this is ground breaking news.
Like this is unheard of before Angelina did it.
How brave she is
How courageous she is

Pfffttt...
let's interview the hundreds of thousands of women in the world fighting the same battle..
or worse.
I have a friend fighting stage IV breast cancer-every single day. 
That's who belongs on the cover of PEOPLE.
Now that's bravery.

Comments

  1. THANK YOU!!! I could not agree with you more!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment