Skip to main content

"Blessed"

There was a tragic accident in our community this past week.
As a small town and parents; we are all grieving along with the families.
I say families because the driver who hit the victims is also grieving. This was a tragic accident and I'm sure our hearts are aching along with hers. Lives have been changed forever in a blink of an eye.

I, along with so many in my town, hugged my children a bit tighter last night as I wished them goodnight. Thinking how lucky I was that I had them next to me.
Somehow the messy room, the homework that needed nagging to get done, the put away the phone-none seemed to matter last night. Time stood still and all I wanted was for them to be in my house, in my eyesight, close enough to be able to reach out and brush their hair out of their eyes.

Thanksgiving is a tough time of year. We are supposed to be feeling grateful; thankful.
It's tough to do that this year.

In spite of our local tragedy, each story in the news the past few months has been filled with violence, heartbreak, people taking away each others mental and physical being.

Selfishly, I look at my own crappy year and am hard pressed to feel "blessed" (my new word that I love to hate).

It's pouring rain out today. The sky is gray and it's raw outside.
It's noon and my boys are home because it's a half day before Thanksgiving.
If you want a laugh to this post, a "half day" consists of releasing middle school at 11:10AM. I'm pretty sure my children haven't had a full week of school this entire month but that's here nor there.
They're home.
On the couch with me.
The dog by my feet.
Law and Order on in the background as I motivate myself to set the table for tomorrow's meal.
A meal where I will be surrounded by my family.

So that constitutes as a thankfulness amongst the tragedy.
And if my kids eat something other than a roll then I really will be "blessed".

Please.
Love Fiercely.
Life can change that quickly.

Comments