Skip to main content

Stop Comparing

I'm pretty sure I've spent my entire life comparing.

That girl is prettier
skinnier
getting more dates
better car
better grades

Than I became a Mom and if I thought I was comparing as a teenager I didn't know the half of it.

That kid is walking, talking, eating, running, smarter, potty trained, more behaved and taller than mine.

That Mother must be a better Mom than me.

She is at the gym, makes organic food, eats better, multi tasks, shops only at Whole Foods and dresses to the nines.

Her life must be perfect.

What I've learned however is "everyone we meet has a battle we know nothing about."
That's right. Behind closed doors could be a whole different story.
Or maybe it's not. Maybe she is as perfect as she appears and so are her precious cherubs.

But so what?

You aren't her.
Sure your kid maybe didn't wear underwear til a week before Kindergarten started  (you know, hypothetically) and maybe you aren't a perfect size 6 (nor ever will be) and maybe you scream really loud at times you are afraid the neighbors may hear.

So what?
Most of the time I hope you're happy.

You love your own sometimes misbehaved, smart mouthed, carb eating children who are also kind and funny and cute as heck.
It's okay that in public they maybe interrupted you while you were talking for the 10th time even though they are teens and should know better.
And it's okay that you have 10 (okay 25) extra lbs on you because right now weight loss should not be your main focus (again, you know, hypothetical)
And it's okay that you don't eat farm to table.

It's your life.
Not theirs.

Let's stop comparing and start enjoying what we have.
It may have taken me twice to get Breast Cancer and 49 years to figure this out but I'm almost there.

Imperfections and all.



Comments