Skip to main content

24 hours in Philly

After a 5 hour and 45 minute drive (mostly in a monsoon) we arrived in Philly.
I've never been and due to the ridiculous breaking of my toe on a ottoman; last minute plans brought us to the land of the liberty bell.

We were literally planning to spend only 24 hours so we got down to the important business: a visit to the "Rocky" stairs, a picture in front of the bell, a visit to a WAWA and a Philly's game.  It was 96 degrees and I was in a walking boot so you can just picture the joy climbing up to the top seats at the stadium.

I'm not a huge baseball fan but oldest was in his glory and we got to hang with DH's college friends.

 I don't know if you know anyone who went to Penn State but the school is a giant cult.
The bonus is I married into the cult and love his friends so it made sitting through 96 degree heat bearable.

It was "wall of fame" night and they were honoring Roy Halladay. 
He was a Phillies player who sadly died in a solo plane crash last year. I remembered the story and the dedication was touching.
And then his widow got up to speak.
And naturally she was crying and they focused in on their two teenage sons-
 and they were crying.
And then me and Penn State friend were crying. 
And all I could think about was "There's no crying in baseball" but there we were, wiping our eyes with tissues in the excessive humidity while sticking to our seats.

We stayed in a lovely Double Tree hotel where they give you warm chocolate chip cookies upon check in. The elevators were slow as molasses so I had a few opportunities to overhear (eavesdrop. whatevs. call it what you want) some conversations.

Ladies, you may be thrilled with this one because the group of women were complaining about those stupid string things that often are in your shirts and dresses that you're supposed to use for hanging up tops.
They were discussing the ridiculousness vs the usefulness of them. 
Older lady piped in saying she stuffs the strings in her bra while the other ladies (and me, eavesdropping) went WHY HAVE WE NOT THOUGHT TO DO THE SAME? I just shove it under my armpit somewhere hoping it doesnt reappear during the day.

BRA? Brilliant.

You're welcome.

Bachelor party dudes were saying goodbye to each other in the lobby.
I love when men are not too cool to hug.
"See you in 43 days" Groom says.

I love that groom is counting down the days.

"Is that when it is? I don't even know how many days"
Ok apparently Groom wasn't the one counting down the days. He's the guy that doesn't know how many days.
Shh. Don't tell bride to be.

Speaking of brides we got to witness a newly married couple taking pics in their tux and gown smack in the middle of a Philly street.
Very cool pic amongst the honking uber drivers and the homeless man shouting outside WAWA but she looked stunning nonetheless.

Our 5 hr 45 minute drive in the monsoon seemed like a breeze compared to our almost 7 hour drive back amongst an insane amount of traffic in Jersey and NYC.
Oldest was a saint being patient as can be while his mother cursed and complained for a good 5
hours.
I only needed to stop 3 times for a pit stop and I bonded with a 4 year old who was marveling at those glitter sparkly pillows that change pattern when you rub them one way or the other.
Mother told almost crying 4 year old that they live in a non sparkly house so the pillows need to stay here.
In defense of Mom, they should not be selling sparkly pillows at a rest stop in Jersey when we all our at our wits end from being in the car for too long.
I'm with you kid. I almost lost my shit too.

A fun 24 hours but it's always nice to get home.

Mainly because I don't know how anyone can sleep in a queen size bed with their spouse.


Comments