Skip to main content

LIVESTRONG

I went to my first LIVESTRONG session the other day.

The achiness of my bones and joints is getting worse by the day so I was kind of excited (?) to try anything that may help.

I am not a fan of exercising.

I do not get the people who love to work out but god, I wish I was them.
To WANT to get up and work out is just not something I can imagine ever fathoming.

But I am going to try.

I was 10 minutes late which caused me huge anxiety.
I am never late.
NEVER.
If I am not 10 minutes early I feel late.

I was having a bad morning (and when I say bad morning I mean the deli line at stop and shop was too long and the person in front of me at check out wouldn't stop talking and I needed to get home to grab a quick bite before I hiked over to the "Y")

So bad morning continued when I wasn't paying enough attention and went down the wrong street.
Then when I got there, no one was at the front desk and I hadn't a clue where to go.
A kind woman pointed me in the direction of the kids play area and there I saw 10-12 other survivors.


I sat and listened and we got all kind of spiritual as we talked about what makes us happy and what we hope to achieve.

Ok. I get this.
60, 50, shitty cancer is all the same.
Shitty.

A fellow breast cancer survivor walked in late after me and was also about my age (!)

Oddly we both had a second reoccurrence after a mastectomy which is kind of flukey and a bit surreal since it's such an unlikely thing to happen.

I told her how envious I was that she had her eyebrows (she just finished chemo) and she marveled at my shiny hair (which I told her was a definite plus post chemo) and I was feeling encouraged about the upcoming 12 weeks.

Working out- not my thing.
Trying to feel better about myself- definitely my thing.

Survivors: if you're reading this.
Contact your local YMCA and ask about the program.

12 weeks of trying to move your crappy achey bones.
12 weeks of learning about better nutrition, doing some yoga, calming your mind.
12 weeks of trying to get back to living.

Seriously. What can be bad about it?

Oh. And bonus...

12 weeks where you and your family get a free membership.


Comments