Skip to main content

Skip the cake and other Bar Mitzvah planning tips

Ok
I now have two Bar Mitzvah's planned and executed on my resume.
I feel it my duty as a fellow Jewish mother to pass along my words of advice and wisdom.

You know the DJ's that I talked about in a blog post a month or so ago ?
About the ones that now come with "enhancers"?
Who, you know, enhance?
WORTH. EVERY. PENNY

No joke.
The three enhancer dancers have more energy in their entire selves that I do in my entire pinky toe.
They dance.
They engage others in dancing.
They take the kids who will never dance and somehow get them to dance.
They take all kids under the teen age and get them all mesmerized then teach them all to dance.
They teach the adults who dont have moves how to dance.

Did you hear me?
WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

Get a good DJ.
See above.

We went with the little lambchops for cocktail hour because we were told (and admit, know from past events) people often love the little lambchops.
I didnt want the little lambchops.
Because they're cute but when you have a glass of wine in one hand it's hard to eat said little lambchop.
You know what DH said to me last night?
I didn't love that there was nowhere to put the bone after eating little lambchop.

Skip little lambchops.

There will be enough food.
We are jews.
There is always enough food.

On a budget?
Don't worry about covering your chairs.
Or paying extra for nicer chairs.
Did I love my chairs?
Not particularly?
Was anyone sitting around talking about how I should've spent money on the more expensive chairs?
Am guessing not.
(But maybe?)

Go with a theme.
It makes everything easier to tie together.

Dance socks?
I make fun of them.
I can't believe the second girls walk in they run to find the dance socks.
This Mom?
The second I horah'ed- I went looking for the dance socks.
Buy the dance socks.

And lastly
Skip the cake.
I cannot tell you the time I spent planning our cake so it would look like an exact replica of my son's camp lake.
The size of the cake was more ridiculous than I realized it would be.
IT WAS SPECTACULAR LOOKING.
(Shout out to Montillio's Bakery)
Seriously. They rocked it.
That cake?
Is now cut in 10 different sections in my freezer and I could feed my entire town of 16k.
No one eats the cake.
Go for a cute little cookie, ice cream bar for the kids (and then think adults like ice cream and do it for them too)
I promise you
no one will miss the cake.

Ok
That wasn't lastly.
This is lastly.

There's a lot of planning that goes in.
We spend $$ that we think is ridiculous on things like dance socks and favors but at the end of the day, at the end of the night, the way my knees creeked and my blisters blistered, and the way my voice rasped and I could barely function the next morning because I was so tired, the way my kid beamed and ran around and danced with all his friends, and how his camp friends sat arm and arm at the end of his service ringing in Havdallah.....

WORTH. EVERY. PENNY.

Mazel Tov





Comments